So we got two new clients at work this week. Twin 2yearolds. They are precious, and a little behind developmentally, so it is like they are babies (compared to our big guys anyway) This morning the little girl was so sleepy all she wanted to do was be held and snuggle. My coworker and I happily obliged the little princess! I kept thinking about how it couldn't possibly be my job to hold a this little girl, or tickle her darling brother. And then I thought about how I had similiar feeling when my bigger guys first came to us, and then I began to think about when they all grow up. And to some extent it made me sad. I know that with the intervention we provide they will undoubtedly have a better chance at "normal" than they would have without it. But will they live alone? Get jobs? Have friends? Drive? Get married? For some I believe they will, but for others, I know the answers are probably no. And it breaks my heart. This beautiful children may never learn to adapt to this hard world. I pray a cure is found. And I especially pray that a cause is found so we can stop this epidemic. Autism affects 1 in 110 children, and 1 in every 70 boys. 1 in 70. And no cure or even cause has been found. The only link is a genetic one (but they don't know which genes are involved) and the only intervention scientifically proven effective is ABA. There has to be more answers out there.
Ok. Stepping off soapbox. Putting soapbox in corner and moving on. New grad class started Wed, and I am trying super hard to finish my two incomplete classes so this class does not last forever as those have. On top of that, it's been 3 months since AF now, and DR. W will not return my calls about a provera script. I really really want to see some progress here, but other than a measly ten lbs, metformin seems to be doing nothing, and my body seems to be in some sort of revolt. Praying I get a callback on Monday. Off to do homework. 'Night blogger friends.
Wow - your doctor really owes you a phone call!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your job is amazing. I know I'm ignorant here, but what's ABA?
ABA, or Applied Behavior Analysis is a science based on positive reinforcement found to be effective in treating Autism, as well as other behavioral disorders. (It's also the basis trainers at Sea World use to train the animals, as well as all kinds of other cool stuff)
ReplyDelete